Monday, January 16, 2012

Weight Loss & Fitness Challenge: Week 2

I have survived my second week. I have lost 1 kg and am not getting cravings of any kind, beside coffee. I have to admit that I am over the moon these two starter weeks are over so that I can have my morning coffee. As I am writing this I’m sipping on some good coffee. Bliss! I did buy a pomegranate flavoured Rooibos tea that tastes lovely (I firmly believe Rooibos has to be flavoured with something to make it decent), but as nice as it tastes it just doesn’t replace that feeling that coffee gives you.

This past week has been a challenge. I was being naughty, checking my scale every second day instead of once a week, annoyed that that damn kilo was taking it’s time to shift. I think that’s why dietitians recommend weekly instead of daily weighing. I will try and be god this week and only weigh myself on Saturday. And I will measure myself once a month only.  I'm also keeping track of what I eat with a food diary. It helps to not deviate too much and to ensure that I am eating the recommended portions.

Sarai came to visit me for lunch on Friday and we went to a Greek restaurant and had mezze. The nice thing about mezze is that you can have a variety of nibbles. We were really good and got the healthier stuff. But somehow, after almost 2 weeks of eating healthy, I actually did not enjoy the mezze as much as I expected. They felt very heavy on my stomach. We didn’t even finish our platters and took home the rests. My share I gave to Lindiwe as I couldn’t face eating them.  There was one Mezze dish though that was really nice: Chickpeas with Fennel. I am definitely going to try and make it when I can find fennel bulbs.

I have started having Jungle Oats for breakfast. Apparently oats have a fibre that prevents the body from absorbing cholesterol thereby helping to reduce the existing levels. Please keep fingers crossed that the oats, combined with my healthy eating lifestyle, exercise and Omega 3’s will help drastically drop my cholesterol levels.

Kelly-May told me about a NIA class at my local gym. On Thursday I went and had an absolute blast. NIA stands for Non Impact Aerobic. It’s based on a mix of dancing, martial arts, yoga and aerobics. I love that you can go at your own pace, that there is no right and wrong and that you listen to your body. I felt like a bit of a clunky elephant compared to the lithe graceful instructor, but I can see that NIA will teach me to get in tune with my body again. After 1 hour of non-stop exercise I came out of there quite exhausted and sweaty but very happy. I am definitely going to be doing it weekly. I cannot wait for next Thursday’s session! Poor KM could not make the session due to nasty tonsillitis. I hope she gets better soon so that we can start our walking sessions too.

My word, I can't believe I'm actually saying this: I am enjoying exercising!

So week 3 here we come! I am totally winning this challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment