Thursday, December 15, 2011

2011 in review

2011 has been quite an interesting year for me. Let me look back on it.

It didn't start off very well. I was suffering quite badly from depression and had to have my medication upped. Work was not going well either and I was struggling to perform. The fact that I was working for a company that did not value its staff did not help. It was hard walking into a building with such negative energy.

I was in a relationship for a while, which although was great at the beginning, fizzled out. I felt used when he told me that he just wanted a “fun” relationship. I wish he’d told me this upfront.

I then started seeing a shrink. It was the best thing I ever did! I have learnt so much about myself and how I deal with difficult situations and why I make the choices I do. I’m healing and I’ve been off my anti-depressants for 4 months now, with no relapse into depression.

I got a new job, which has been highly satisfying. Not only from the point of view that I am being paid way better than at my previous place, but also that I am doing challenging work and learning so much. I also get to travel all over the country and discover places I have never been to.

I have been able to kill off my credit card debt and increase my home loan repayments. And to add a glorious surprise: I got my first ever Christmas bonus and a raise! I wasn’t expecting either, seeing how I’ve only been with the new company for 4 months. So that bonus will probably go towards my UK trip in September next year. And will be able to afford getting a new set of wheels. It’ll be sad to trade in my darling red Fiesta, But I need a car with safety features and efficient fuel consumption, considering all the travelling I’m doing. I’m thinking getting a Honda Jazz, Hyundai i20 or Mazda2. Of course a Nissan Juke would be quite awesome, but I think it’s a somewhat out of my budget. I’m going to start my research and test driving before I make a final decision.

I also started going to the gym on a regular basis. It has improved my sleep patterns. Although I haven’t lost any weight yet, I am confident that I will shift quite a few kilos next year. And it will help with toning and help me improve my body image. I’m still quite hung up on how I look and I know that it is an issue that will take me quite some time and a lot of therapy to sort out.

I’m glad 2011 is coming to an end. I am looking forward to my Christmas break, even if it’s only 9 days. I’m excited for 2012. It will be a great year!

1 comment:

  1. You've come a long way, lady, and you have a long way to go - the journey is only just beginning! Glad to see you patting yourself on the back, you deserve it and am super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete