Friday, August 19, 2011

Things I should remember...

When my baking cookbook, given to me by my dear friend Gilamonster, says that the cake serves 12, that they actually mean 12 starving Ethiopian families.

I decided, being the super efficient planner that I am, to bake one of my birthday cakes for Saturday last night . That way I can store it in the fridge and it's one less thing to do on the day. Red velvet cupcakes are also on the menu.

This particular chocolate cake recipe should fill a 24cm spring-form cake tin. Well, that it did, to the brim. And anyone who's done any baking knows that cake rises. Double at least.

So I emptied half of it into another tin. Thank goodness I have two. Now I have two cakes, one which is now sitting next to me at work.

Meet the Chocolate, Orange, Almond Cake, drowned in chocolate ganache:



PS: Yes, I did lick the bowl.

PPS: For the best Red Velvet Cake recipe...IN THE WORLD (to quote good ole' Jeremy Clarkson), go to http://www.joyofbaking.com/RedVelvetCake.html





2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday.
    Hope you have a splendid party. Send me a slice of that on FB, at least I can drool and not get fat nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh - recipe please. Looks super yummy! Also - LOVING your new background, it's so awesome....

    ReplyDelete