Thursday, August 18, 2011

I get by with a little help from my friends...

So sang The Beatles. And it's true.

As an only child I learned how to entertain myself. A very useful skill when your parents take you along to visit their friends who don't have kids.

A very useful skill when you are ostracised at school because you've been brought up by bookworm parents who read Goethe to you at age 4, you grow up surrounded by art and classical music and you're a smart kid.

My childhood was pretty lonely. I had few friends, and being in a school where the kids' parents are on contract, those friends never were around for long. The girls were worse than the boys. We are supremely bitchy things as kids, but we mostly grow up OK. I have one friend left from those days, L'Emmerdeuse, who is now happily married and living in Paris.

The teenage years were worse. Do you think girls can get bitchier? Yes they can! Thank goodness for growing up.

At University I started blossoming and formed some good friendships. Even more so when I started postgrad, joined a Dungeons & Dragons role playing group (yeah yeah yeah, girl playing D&D, geek, whatever). I also started archery and made close friends there too.

I am proud to say that I have an amazing group of friends who are always there for me, just as I am there for them.

And friends are extremely important to me. Relationships come and go, but friendships are the champagne that make life's blues go away.

So a big thank you to all the wonderful people in my life, without whom it would otherwise be most dull.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, the smart kids always have it the hardest - but you've turned out damn well in my opinion, you're a very well adjusted person! LOVE that you played D&D :D

    ReplyDelete