Friday, January 18, 2013

Chalk and Cheese

I have spent the last to days in the tiny town of Kathu in the middle of the Northern Cape. The only reason the town exists is due to the very big iron ore mine next door. I refer going to site as going to Mars.

Because I was staying overnight I was booked into a guest lodge used by my company. I have to say that if ever I have to stay overnight in Kathu it will not be at Lidikwa Guesthouse. For the following reasons.

I arrived at the house around 5:30 after I had left the mine. There was nobody at reception. There was no envelope with my name and a pair of keys in it. I eventually found a gardener who was washing cars and he went off and located one of the helpers who in a very surly manner gave me some keys.

I found my room. Not big but clean and that's all I really need for one night. After a dip in the pool I took a shower. Luckily that I ALWAYS pack shower gel when I travel because there was no soap or shower gel provided. I mean, don't people wash their hands in this town?

Next I planned on charging my phone. Not one two-pronged plug to be found. I eventually unplugged the TV and precariously perched my phone as the plug was way up.

In the morning I rock up at the breakfast nook. No one in sight. I had been told breakfast was served between 6 and 8 and I got there at 6:45. A sign tells the guests to please help themselves to the lovely selection of cereals, fruits and yogurts. By cereals they mean Rice Crispies, Corn Flakes and muesli that has seen better days. No sight of fruit or yogurt. Nor milk for that matter. I finally located the kitchen to find milk. Then the urn for hot water was stone cold, clearly never having been switched on that morning. Although I called out to see if there was anyone, no one responded and I ended up getting a muffin and coffee at Wimpy.

And this is the place our company uses. I intend lodging a complaint. I don't want to hear excuses about how it's a one horse town and standards are different etc. I've had better service in the middle of seriously nowhere.

By comparison, last week I slept over in Polokwane at a stunning B&B called Victoria House. Superb service, friendly staff, spacious charming room (with all the essentials), royal breakfast. The owners even recommended restaurants where they have an agreement that the restaurant bill is spent to them to be added to the B&B bill. We ate at Rhapsody's where we were charmed by excellent service and great food.

I will certainly stay at Victoria House again. Lidikwa guesthouse? Not a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment