Sunday, July 8, 2012

Out and About

A while back (I'm not sure how long ago, but some time ago, in a galaxy far far away etc...), someone was whingeing that it is better to live in a big European city because there is more to do and more culture. I clearly suspect that that someone probably spent all their time on their couch watching DSTV, scared of stepping outside in case someone tried to mugg/hijack/rape/kill (insert appropriate fear here) them.

I can definitely tell that there are many things to do in and around Jozi, as well as Durbs and Cape Town. Okay, perhaps not as much in the smaller towns, but that's the same overseas my dears. (Put even sleepy PE has it's share of goodies to do. Mastertons would be a definite place to see). Small towns are small towns. Since I started my bucket list year, I have done quite a few things on the list. I have been to 3 stage shows (Nutcracker on ice. Phantom of the Opera and Cabaret), I went to Madame Zingara, discovered new restaurants through my supper club, gone on a canopy tour, been to a medieval festival... 

Do you realise how much there is to do around here? We have a lot of art galleries. Yes they don't show the "big" names (as it costs a fortune to bring anything here, insurance etc), although Standard Wank to something occasionally, but we have many good South African Artists. We have museums, We have a million "organic" food markets and other markets, we have shows on everywhere, open gardens (went with mom last week to check out an aloe collection which was stunning!), parks, botanical gardens and more. You could troll all the brick-a-brack and antique stores, go to 44 Stanley ave, Parkhurst, Rosebank, Cyrilldene's China market, the Irene Market...

Every week I get a newsletter from the Maboneng Precinct. It's part of the re-upgrading of the CBD. On Sundays there is a food market, there is the bioscope which plays weird and wonderful movies, there are restaurants, art galleries, theatres, comedy nights and more. And it's dynamic and vibrant and you will always find something to do. 

There are books on what to do in Joburg. So much. It just takes getting off your lazy backside, taking a big girl pill and getting out there!

Admittedly, Jozi is not a scenic/pretty city, but it has a vibe. So the next person who tells me there is nothing to do here I will personally smack them over the head with the GREAT BIG BOOK OF OBVIOUS LAZYNESS! Kapish? No go on, after you finish reading this, take a shower, get dressed and go explore!


We can't really explore biggest darkest Africa (unless you're a mining company), so explore your concrete jungle. I promise you will find gems. I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment