Friday, May 25, 2012

Artist of the Week: Lana Del Rey

For a while on MTV I have seen a music video by a young singer entitled Video Games. I didn’t’ think much of it. It was an amalgam of retro home style videos, but the voice of the singer, Lana Del Rey, intrigued me. I only recently found out that it was a homemade video and that it went viral on the interwebs. Seems the way a lot of new artists are being discovered these days. Let the masses choose for themselves what they like, rather than telling them what they should like.
So the other day, when a colleague offered me some music and I saw he had her album BORN TO DIE, I took the opportunity to listen to it. I listened to it again, and again and again. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Lana’s style of music can probably best be described as indie. Then again, how do you describe Tori Amos and Florence + the Machine? Lana is clearly one of those young women with an intriguing voice (no run of the mill Idols pop tartlet voice), good lyrics and good music.
Turns out that even before I had heard Video Games, I had seen the music video Born To Die made by no other than Yoann Lemoine (aka  Woodkid).
Go check out her music, I guarantee you’ll be intrigued and soon hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment