Monday, May 28, 2012

Artist of the Week: The Kongos



Four brothers: Johnny Kongos, Jesse Kongos, Dylan Kongos and Daniel Kongos formed a band called…KONGOS. Yes, well. They are the sons of a South African singer songwriter John Kongos, quite popular in the 80’s (before my time).
They are a rock band (by now you should know pop is NOT in my repertoire). They have an eclectic blend of alternative, with hints of African rhythms (think Johnny Clegg), Greek melodies (daddy being Greek and whatnot) and you may be treated to some bad-ass accordion type music thrown in for good measure. Confusing? Actually it all works out damn well and I have found myself often rocking out to their songs. My Favourites: Come With Me Now and I’m Just Joking. Come with me know can only be described as being alternative country (I swear you could line-dance/head-bang to it), while I’m just Joking has a syncopated beat that is eerie and may make you feel somewhat disorientated, which works great with the lyrics.
Keep this band on your radar, I think they will go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment