Saturday, February 11, 2012

Artist of the week: Florence + the Machine

If you have not heard of Florence + the Machine, then, you have either been living under a rock all your life or, like my parents, you only listen to Radio 702 or Classic FM.


The first single I heard was You've got the love. I had heard a number of covers and this was the best I had heard to date. So off I went hunting for more of her music and fell utterly in love.

In this age of interchangeable pop starlets (or is that tartlets?), her music is a breath of fresh air. Florence has an immensely powerful and poignant voice. Her lyrics are deep and meaningful. She makes use of orchestration (and harps, which I so love). The emotions she conveys when she sings have me in goosebumps in five seconds flat. Words fail to describe her awesomeness, so I will quote:

"With vocals building from breathy almost-nothings to soaring, arching crescendos and the accompanying harps, strings, hopes and dreams, [Florence] takes you somewhere you'll never want to come back from."
In many way she is reminiscent of Tori Amos, without being a copy of Tori, unlike Lady Gaga emulating Madonna's early days. I hope that she will continue making amazing music and have an amazing musical career, spanning many decades.



I heartily recommend that you get out there and buy her music. You will not be disappointed. I currently have Ceremonials on repeat in my car and I am not getting tired of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment