Monday, November 28, 2011

Grumpy old lady with shotgun

At least, I wish I had had a shotgun yesterday morning. To blow up the speakers blaring loud music at 6AM for some damn race.

I live in a gated suburb that is very popular with runners. We have the Old Parktonian Sports Club next door, running clubs during the week, regular races etc. It's nice because the neighbourhood feels alive. The organisers of the races leave us notices of when races will happen (generally early on Sunday mornings) and apologising for traffic disruption. We don't mind, as races are not noisy events. The occasional soccer leagues at Old Parks are noisier (and even then you barely register them).

So yesterday morning, I fell out of bed with fright, at 6AM, when this horrible techno music started blaring out of nowhere! And it didn't stop. The DJ had great fun playing certain songs over and over again. And then shouting in the microphone because clearly the loudspeakers were not loud enough. When I escaped to my folks at 11AM the music was still blaring. So much for a Sunday morning lie in.

Apparently a colleague of mine who stays next to Delta Park, a few kilometres away from me, could hear the noise.

Now, I'm not quite sure what the noise by-laws say, but I'm quite sure one is not allowed to disturb the Sunday peace, especially not in a residential suburb. And not at that level of dB. I spoke to some runners who complained that it was unpleasant running past where the speakers were. I don't know what the organisers were thinking, but they seriously lack any consideration to residents that's for sure!

And how does one go about submitting a complaint about public nuissance?

I feel like a grumpy old lady complaining about kids making noise, but can you blame me? Grumble Grumble Grumble....

No comments:

Post a Comment