Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Artist of the Week: Fort Minor and Hugo

Oh no, Clemma has beaten me to the weekly blog post. I better catch up hey?

Working in an open plan office is not the easiest thing. You are continuously surrounded by talking colleagues (we are a social bunch) and distractions abound. In order to be productive, I have taken to hiding behind my earphones and music. And I am always grateful when friends and colleagues give me new music.

A while back Clifford (cool colleague with nice cycler’s backside – he wears tight pants okay, not my fault I noticed) gave me some ACDC: tricky to listen to without wanting to jump around on one leg playing air guitar. “I want a Mistress…for Christmas…”He is also responsible for my new-found delight in Mumford and Sons and Lana Del Rey. Someone has to take the blame. As soon as he and his band State Society release their album I will be able to give a review. Note: the boy has talent.

This weekend I had supper with Calvin and Melissa: delicious red curry and Isle Flotante (the first time I have attempted to make custard – with success) with tons of good wine. They gave me movies, series and music. Today I am finding myself bopping my head up and down to hip-hop. Yes. You heard right. What has happened to Gerlinde? Did an alien kidnap her and mess with her brain? I NEVER listen to hip-hop!  But in my defence, this is not any random hip-hop. This is Fort Minor.

You probably remember “Where d’ You Go” on the radio such a long time ago. Fort Minor is a side project of Mike Shinoda, the lead singer of Linkin Park. So now you understand why I’m enjoying Fort Minor (being such a big Linkin Park fan).

The Rising Tied”, their one and only album, is really good. Shocking that I only got around to listening to the album now. I can only describe it as Linkin Park Lite. Catchy tunes, good lyrics and rhythm to the songs. It’s a pity that only one album was released (and 7 years ago at that). I would enjoy hearing more of that collaboration. I guess I’ll have to make do with the new Linkin Park album that’s out “Living Things”.

Another artist Hugo (Hugo Chakrabongse Levy) is keeping me company. He is a half-Thai, half-British singer-songwriter. His album “Old Time Religion” is a blend of country, bluegrass, blues, and old school rock. He even sings in Thai.

I’m discovering that I am rather partial to indie style music which makes use of a blend of styles. None of this “churned out for radio” nonsense. And yes, I am proud to say that I am very grateful to NOT be going to Lady Gaga’s concert at the end of the year. Now Big Concerts, if you are listening, please can you bring us Muse, Linkin Park, Kasabian…

No comments:

Post a Comment