Monday, January 28, 2013

Around the World in 80 Meals: Troyeville Hotel Review

I have recently joined a Meetup Group called “Gauteng Expats”. One of the events that are organised regularly is called “Around the World the World in 80 Meals”. The aim is to meet new people and discover new restaurants that are not your run-of-the-mill places. I'm going to do monthly posting on the places we visit, that way you, dear reader, are also inspired to explore our lovely city.

Last saturday we went slumming in Troyeville and trotted to the Troyeville Hotel. It really is in a dodgy part of town. I came via Joe Slovo Drive but next time I will come via Bruma. It might be a bit longer but it’s less dodgy.  The area might not be salubrious but the restaurant and bar were packed. I guess all the locals from Kensington know about this little gem.

The restaurant at the hotel served really good Portuguese and Mozambican food. The menu was not extensive, but what was served was really good and very reasonably priced. I had the L.M. Prawns. Nice big ones. The manager was welcoming and came to give us the specials and his recommendations, the waiters were friendly and efficient, the food came fast and was excellent.

All in all we had a great night. I met some nice new people and I’m looking forward to more Meetups.

Troyeville Hotel Address
25 Bezuidenhout Street Troyeville Johannesburg 2094 South Africa
Telephone: +27 11 402 7709 Fax: 086 509 4584
 

No comments:

Post a Comment